Sunday, May 16, 2010

Really from scratch spaghetti sauce

I have to admit I'm proud of myself on this one because I made up the recipe myself. I did have to call my mom and ask a few questions, but I think it's really delicious and it is really healthy!

Spaghetti Sauce:
12 Medium Sized Tomatoes cut in fourths
8-10 cloves of garlic, minced
3 small onions, cut in fourths
2 peppers, cleaned and cut into fourths
1 jalapeno, cleaned
Basil (1 bunch fresh...maybe 1-2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 can Tomato Paste
1-2 lbs cooked ground beef or sausage

1. Cut up all the veggies, you don't need small pieces because they're going to take a ride in a blender.

2. Blend all of the Veggies. I had to blend the ingredients in two groups because my blender wasn't big enough. It is going to look a little pink and foamy and maybe make you nervous, but don't worry, after it simmers it looks normal again. Note: you can add zucchini and broccoli too, just jam the stuff full of veggies!)

3. Put in a large pot/pan and add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and let simmer for a few hours. You can also put it in a crock pot.

4. This is mine after about 1.5 hours of simmering, notice how it's more red instead of pinkish now. Mine was a little watery tasting so I just let it simmer a little longer to evaporate some of the water.

5. Serve over noodles OR use as a sauce in lasagna. I used it for lasagna and it was enough to make a HUGE lasagna plus another little one in a bread pan.

I love that this is so packed with veggies and tastes so good. Next time I do this I'll probably freeze it in quart sized jars and store them in my freezer for future meals.

If you have a special ingredient that you put in spaghetti that I missed please share it! I don't think this recipe is perfect....yet. :)

3 comments:

Beth said...

I make a yummy "low-fat" lasagna that uses spinach and mushrooms. It is fabulous! Alicia has served it to her guests several times now. It also uses whole wheat lasagna and no fat ricotta cheese and only a little mozzarella. Mmmm, maybe I'll make it again soon.

Erin said...

Worcestershire sauce, oregano, parsley. Congrats on making spaghetti sauce that's TRULY from scratch and not just canned tomatoes. Someday I'll try...maybe soon since tomatoes are super on sale this week! ;)

BTW, I remember in one of your recent posts you said something about the fact that your chicken bullion was "processed" or whatever and just wanted to let you know that the brand Better than Bullion carries a great product...I only don't recognize one of the ingredients on their label. You can get it for pretty cheap (and by pretty cheap I mean WAY cheaper than the grocery store, but don't know how it compares to other brands of granulated bullion/bullion cubes). Anyway, just thought I'd share. :) You're amazing!

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you for sharing your tasty lasagna with me and my kids. I can't wait to make it at home.
=)