Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chocolate Covered Cake Balls

I saw these on my friends Lisa's blog and then tried one at my friend Erin's house and I HAD to try them out. I'm doing a babyshower this weekend so I practiced them last weekend so I could get the hang of things. There are about a MILLION varieties using this same idea.
They have also been called 'Bakerella Balls' because that is the original creater. Here is a link to some of her other similar creations: link
1. Bake a cake-I chose chocolate.

2. Let the cake cool completely, then break it up into small pieces. Mix a container of cream cheese frosting with the cake. ( Other people have tried broken up oreos and broken up nutter butters)
3. Roll them into little balls and stick them in the freezer or fridge until they are nice and firm.
4. Dip them in chocolate and return them to the fridge to harden. I dipped them in melted hershey's kisses, melted white chocolate chips, and melted cookies and cream bars. The cookies and cream were definately my favorite! I heard that if you mix a little shortening with the melted chocolate the chocolate sticks better. I'll try that next time!
It makes a LOT, luckily we had plenty of friends to share them with or else I may have gained about 20 lbs! We had 85 balls!

3 comments:

Julie said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

erin said...

Yummy!!! They look beautiful! I'm a little jealous of your counter space... ;)

Megan said...

I will help you eat chocolate covered cakeballs anytime :) SO good!