Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pork Enchiladas

These enchiladas are SO yummy, but they look a little weird...I will explain how to fix that though. I took an enchilada recipe from allrecipe.com and then picked my hispanic neighbor's brain on how to make the sauce. Together they make a DELICIOUS dish. I use fat free and reduced fat items and it still tastes good.

allrecipes link:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cottage-Cheese-Chicken-Enchiladas/Detail.aspx

Here's how I make them. You make a cheese mixture, the meat mixture and sauce and put them into tortillas and bake 'em up.

Ingredients:
10 tortillas
1-2 C grated cheese (do you like them super cheese, or not super cheesy?)
everything listed below


1. Cheese Mixture: Mix the ingredients in a bowl
--2 C. Cottage Cheese
--1/2 C sour cream
--1/3 package cream cheese (adjust to your desired richness and fat content :)

2. Meat Mixture:
--1 lb of cooked shredded meat (beef, pork, chicken)
--1 can diced green chillis
--1/2 onion-chopped
--3 cloves of garlic cut into tiny pieces (minced???)
--1 package taco seasoning
--1 tbl oil

Fry the onions and garlic in the oil first, then add everything else and cook on medium for a while... I usually let it simmer for 20 min.

3. Sauce:
Either:
--1 can of enchilada sauce
OR
The ingredients shown below
--4 small tomatos
--2 tomatillos (green tomatos)
--1 jalapeno
--3 cloves of garlic
--a bundle of cilantra
--chilli pepper

Boil the everything but the garlic and cilantra until soft. The jalpeno and chilli take a little longer. put it all in a blender (including garlic & cilantra) and blend it up to get your sauce.

Change the ratio of tomatos to jalapenos to get a more spicey sauce...this was VERY mild, there was a small kick though. I wouldn't recommend using both tomatoes and tomatillos since it made a puke brown sauce (still very tasty though).

Assemble the enchiladas:

--Use 10 tortillas. Put in a scoop of the cheese mixture, meat mixture, and a little shredded cheese in each tortilla. Wrap the tortillas and put them in your baking dish. I put a little sauce in each enchilada and then drizzled the rest over the top. I used 2 square pyrex dishes and put one in the freezer for a meal a week later (still tasted delicious).

Some pointers:

1. You can put as much or as little cheese and meat into each tortilla, if you are a meat eater then you might want to double the meat mixture so you can really load them.

2. For the meat I tried making it in the crockpot the night before and it worked beautifully! I got a pork roast and mixed all of the ingredients for the meat mixture together and smothered it all over the roast. I let it cook on low all day and then shredded it up. We used it for tostadas that night and then i used the leftovers to make the enchiladas. It eased up a lot on the work!
3. You can be very creative with the sauce. My neighbor originally told me to just use 2 jalapenos and 3 large tomatoes. Then she said if I wanted it fancier I could add all the other stuff.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Looks Delicious! I am excited about this new blog! I need some new dinner ideas.