Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Granola Bars

I have been keeping out an eagle eye for good snack foods to send with my hubby to school or to take in my purse for my little guy. These seemed to be perfect. I completely stole this recipe and put it in a word document and I can't figure out which website it's from. SORRY!

Granola Bars:
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup raisins

3 T. oil (I used half Extra Virgin Olive Oil and half applesauce)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup natural smooth peanut butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 T water

1. Mix nuts, raisins, and oats in bowl.
2. Whisk other ingredients on the stove on low heat until the sugar dissolves. I know, it looks like a spatula in there...but you should really use a whisk.
3. Dump the wet stuff over the dry stuff and stir it up.
4. Press it down on a pan. I made a double batch. So if you're just making it regular I'd use a square pyrex dish. Make sure to line it with parchment paper.
5. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes or until it starts to brown around the edges. I cooked mine for 35 and they're not crunchy, more of a chewy texture.

6. Slice and dice em' and put in personal sized baggies for a quick snack.


Notes:

- This is basically a cookie, you saw how much sugar is in these babies. Maybe I'll cut it in half next time or use honey instead.

-Next time I will use all oil, I think that's a part of the reason that mine were so cookie-like.

-Next time I will add more oats/almonds/raisins to the mixture. They are a little too gooey. After eating them today I think that that is the problem. I will post again when I make them next and let you all know how that goes. :)

3 comments:

Julie said...

These look so yummy. How long do you think they stay good for? Seriously, I love this kick you are on. I get to be lazy and learn a lot still! Keep it up!

Melissa said...

I don't know, quite a while probably. I am going to tweak the recipe a little and try them again.

Kristin said...

i have a pretty good recipe....
yours look pretty yummy! nice job!