Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tostadas

Something about San diego has gotten me excited about Mexican food! My favorite meal lately is tostadas, I am ALWAYS in the mood for them! They are great because you can make it nice and fancy for company or keep it simple on a busy night. Here are a few of our favorite toppings:
1. Pork
--2 cans of sliced green chillies
--3 cloves of garlic chopped up
--3 tbl taco seasoning (I usually add 2 at the beginning and add more at the end if it is too bland)
--1 tbl Chili powder
--1tsp oregano

Just mix all the ingredients into a paste and rub it over a pork roast. I cook mine in a crock pot on low for 6 or 7 hours. About an hour before serving I get a couple forks and shred the meat and adjust seasoning and such and let it cook another hour.

2. Beans
--Beans
--chicken/tomato bullion
--2 cloves of garlic
--onion.

These i have NOT mastered yet. I put everything in a pot with plenty of water and let it cook on low heat until the beans are soft. I usually have to add water a few times through out the cook time. It took 2 hours yesterday!!! They are yummy though. Does anyone have any suggestions, I know canned beans are nice.

3. Rice

I make my rice like normal: twice as much water as rice, but I add the chicken/tomato bullion. The bullion makes a HUGE difference. I find it in the Mexican food isle of my grocery store. This rice is YUMMY!

This pic has the rice, beans and meat, all homemade and yummy! Too much salt, but that's better than fat!


4. Cheese
5. Guacamole- so good, but we never have avocado unless my mom is with us!
6. Lettuce
7. Tomato
8. Sour Cream
9. Ranch
10. Salsa

Pretty much anything goes on these babies. Just pile it all onto a tostada (these are like a huge round chip). We put the cheese down first and zap it in the microwave. yummy!

No comments: