Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Our favorite food EVER=Peanut Butter

Today I spent ALL morning in the kitchen. It was the best. My little guy was super excited about helping me so we had a ton of fun together. Our first project was homemade peanut butter. Since this is a favorite of our family I knew it was important to make sure we were getting the natural stuff.

I talked to a lot of people about how to make it and looked online and everyone basically said that you just stick peanuts in a blender and add salt and sugar to taste. I had to add a little olive oil too because my blender wasn't strong enough.

Peanut Butter:
Roasted Peanuts
sugar
salt
extra virgin olive oil

1. Start with 1 C of peanuts and 1 T. of Oil. Blend until creamy (it's okay if its still grainy, just blend until it's looking like peanut butter.


2. Keep adding peanuts, 1/2 cup at a time and blend until it's all blended in and just keep adding. If your blender gets stuck and the peanuts are too thick you can always add a little bit of oil to help it out. My goal was to add the smallest amount of oil possible since peanuts already have a lot of oil and I'm trying to get a healthier alternative to Jiff.

3. Once you added all the peanuts you want (I used about 4 Cups) then turn the blender on and let it run for a few minutes so that you can get it nice and creamy. This is also a good time to add sugar and salt if you want it. I'm guessing that I added about 1.5 teaspoons of salt and 1-2 tablespoons of sugar. Just keep tasting it and see what you think it needs for YOU.

4. Pour in jars or Tupperware and store in the refrigerator.
We love it! Zac said that he prefers it to the store bought brands by a lot. YEAH! I love to hear that!
I was SHOCKED at how easy this was. It was cost effective too. It cost me less then four dollars to make two pints.

2 comments:

Erin said...

You're amazing. I love all your great ideas. Someday I will also attempt these things... :)

Julie said...

Are you still making this?