Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Raspberry Crepes

My focus has always been on providing a healthy dinner for the fam, everything else I just sort of let happen. Now I have a new determination to make breakfast for them too...who knows what's next...well probably lunch.

I've been on the hunt for yummy breakfast meals and I found a great recipe for crepes here:
Link

They aren't as quick as cereal, but they also don't have as much crap and sugar in them as cereal so it's a pretty good trade off. The batter is no big deal to make because you just throw everything in the blender, but it does take a while to cook them since it's a one at a time deal.

CREPES
1 cup freshly ground white wheat flour
1/4 C powdered sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs

1. Throw everything in the blender. Blend until smooth, it doesn't take more than 30 seconds.

2. Pour about a pancake size amount onto a small pan. Then swirl the pan around so that the batter spreads out to the edges. I didn't understand this instruction at first, but you actually have to pick the pan up and move it around so that the batter spreads and the crepe becomes super thin.
3. They cook best at a heat a little less then medium (3.5 on a scale of 1-10) but this means it takes longer. Flip it when it has turned light brown (I forgot to take a picture).
4. You can add a little butter to each side and refry each side if you want them a little crispier.
5. Put any fresh fruit inside and eat like a burrito. You can sprinkle with powdered sugar or cream if you want. We used raspberries today because they were on a great sale!
They looked and tasted awesome, I'll try to remember to take pictures of the finished product next time I make them. I love these because there's a higher fruit-to-crepe ratio than you get with pancakes or waffles. This is going to become a staple in our home!
Notes:
-I doubled the batch and it made 16 large crepes, it took quite a while to cook them all! About 2 minutes per side or more. Me and Mr. T just set up some legos in the kitchen and played while we waited - I set a timer so I wouldn't forget to flip them. :)
-I'm putting them in the freezer so that I can just pull out 4 or 5 for breakfast on mornings when I'm short on time. You can just refry them to defrost so they don't get mushy.

No comments: