Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sweet N' Sour Chicken: the fried variety :)

This was really similar to the sweet n' sour you would get at a chineese restraunt...really good! If I had to rate parts I'd give the chicken a 10 and the sauce a 7, I'm looking for improvements on the sauce so any ideas are welcome. Here is the original recipe with my adjustments.
It basically is veggies and fried chicken over rice all covered in a sweet n' sour sauce...yummy
Sauce:
1. Mix 1/4 c water and 1/4 c cornstarch in a small bowl
2. Mix the following 4 ingredients until they boil, then turn off the heat and slowly add cornstarch while stirring.
Pineapple juice from an 8 oz can
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
2 drops orange food color
3. Add pineapples
Veggies:
Chop up your favorite veggies, we chose green and orange pepper but if I wasn't so lazy I would have done onions and carrots too. Fry them up in a little butter or oil until they're just soft enough.

Chicken:
1. Mix the following ingredients to make a batter...it kind of resembles a thick pancake batter. Then add 2-3 breasts of chicken that have been cut into little pieces and mix it all up.
2 1/4 cups self-rising flour OR 2 C regular flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 1/2 tsp baking pwdr
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 egg
2 cups water
2. Heat up the oil( I used medium heat) and use tongs to scoop out the pieces of chicken and plop them into the oil. They cook WAY fast and they are SO good!

I tried to make it in the afternoon and then warm it up that night and the chicken was not nearly as good as it was fresh from the grease...I will remember that for next time. It was literally the best fried chicken I've ever made, you should try it!

Here is the final product, I forgot to take the picture until Zac was already almost done...dang



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa
Have you tried this website http://www.supercook.com/- I love that you can just list ingredients that you have on hand and it will generate recipes using those items. Let me know what you think. Love Rebekah