Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Wheat Tortillas

Alright, I haven't been posting all of my new experiments in the kitchen because we've been experiencing a lot of failure lately. :) Doesn't matter though, I'm still feeling pretty determined to eat healthy.


Here is a recipe that I tried yesterday that I was very pleased with because it is 1)CHEAP 2)WAYYYYY better for you than store bought 3) EASY. I made a few adjustments after reading the comments here is my version:

WHEAT TORTILLAS

1/2 Cup flour

4.5 Cups whole wheat flour

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 cup olive oil

1.5 cups boiling water

1. Put flour, salt and oil into a mixer and mix until it's crumbly looking. I used the beaters for my Bosch.


2. Switch to a dough hook and add the boiling water. Mix until the dough is consistent and not sticking to the edge of the bowl (a couple minutes).



3. Make balls and put them on a cookie sheet. Next time I'll make them a little bigger. Rolling them out this size I got 18.
4. IMPORTANT: Cover them with a damp towel (I just wet paper towels) and let them sit for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours. Next time I'm going to try freezing a couple at this stage and see if I can pull them out and make fresh tortillas. I'll let you know how that goes.

5. Roll out a ball as thin as you can get it. The thinner the better, to me and least. Fry them on medium high heat in a frying pan, don't use oil or butter. When you see the first bubble then flip it over and let it sit on the other side for 30 seconds. Then flip it back to the original side for another 30 seconds. I didn't really time it, but it goes by fast. While you're waiting for them to cook just roll out the next one. These are supposed to cook fast.

6. Stuff with ingredients. Last night we had brown rice, beans, corn, spinach, cilantro, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. I LOVE adding cilantro, it is SO good. This morning I made scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes, Kale, spinach, and squash and we had breakfast burritos. Both meals were excellent and pretty healthy.

This was the first time I've ever attempted tortillas so I don't have much to compare them with. I do know that pretty much every tortilla is normally made with shortening which is the WORST form of hydrogenated oil you can get (you can tell because it's a solid at room temperature). Replacing that with olive oil makes these a MUCH healthier option. Plus, other recipes add a whole cup or more of the oil and this recipe only used half, and they tasted great!

Now I just need to figure out how to make them look prettier. :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

How did they taste? I'll be really interested to know if they freeze well!

Melissa said...

I think they taste really good. Not as good as those Costco ones you guys get though! I still remember those from a few summers ago. I feel like they are still quite a treat though!