Tuesday, June 8, 2010

BBQ Pork Pitas

I'm really excited about this recipe. Not because it was the most amazing thing ever, but because it's new and something we haven't had before and I have lots of ideas to make it even better.

I made my own pitas and filled them with a BBQ pork and veggies mixture.

PITAS
Here is the link I followed the recipe almost exactly, except I accidentally added 1 tablespoon of oil and used honey instead of sugar. I'll let you follow the link if you want to make your own. I plan to experiment with the yeast and oven temperature until I get them to puff up just right. They tasted fantastic, they just didn't look like pitas. I'll do a full pita post when it's mastered.


FILLING-
I've been looking for a way to use pork from our Sunday Roasts that we have every other month or so. Since meats not super healthy I like to mix in lots of veggies. This is the perfect solution!

-Leftover Pork Roast, shredded
-1 onion
-1-2 green peppers
-1-2 zucchini
-1-2 squash
-Your favorite BBQ sauce (I found a hippie organic brand that doesn't have all the junk in it, of course it didn't taste quite as good, but that's okay, health is more important).

1. Chop all your veggies, shred your meat, and put it in a frying pan.
2. Dump in BBQ sauce until it's coated.
3. Fry until everything is warm and the veggies are at the consistency you like. We like a little crunch to ours and we fry them about 10 minutes.

4. Stuff a pita with it.


Any suggestions about what foods go good with the BBQ taste? I'm especially curious about what seasons would go well. I thought of cilantro while we were eating, but I wasn't sure. It's hard trying to figure out how to get a booming taste without adding lots of salt.

Of course, suggestions are always welcome!

2 comments:

Julie said...

pineapple and mango and pepper sound good to me with bbq.

Melissa said...

YUM! I love that suggestion!