Monday, June 21, 2010

Veggie Smoothies

I figured that I should probably post our favorite meal, and perhaps the healthiest one. We have Smoothies every other night for the last couple weeks for dinner. They are so delicious they are two-straw worthy.


Here are the basic ingredients, give or take what we have on hand:
1 Cup water
1 scoop of frozen OJ concentrate (I always have one in the freezer as the designated smoothie OJ)
1 banana
2 carrots
2-4 Cups fresh spinach
A couple leaves of Kale
1 cup or so of frozen strawberries
1 cup or so of frozen pineapple

Those ingredients are staples in the smoothies around here. I also use raspberries, blueberries, plain yogurt, squash, watermelon, basically any fruit or veggie that I see while I'm making the smoothie. If it's too sour or bitter try adding a tablespoon of powdered sugar or honey, but only add it if you absolutely MUST. Try using pineapple to sweeten it first.

We always eat outside on smoothie night, such a treat. We love it out there.

The best thing about these smoothies: They are chuck full of goodness and my son thinks it's dessert. He drinks as much as I do! We love them and this lighter dinner has helped us shed a few extra pounds. They're good for breakfast too!

2 comments:

Beth said...

I love smoothies too as a way to get in your fruits and veggies. I also use non-fat yogurt to boost the protein level and the protein helps the blood sugar level stay up for a longer while. Good work, Melissa!

Julie said...

yummy--you're making me crave one!